Sunday, November 13, 2016

Birthday Cards - Clean and Simple

Hello friends,

Today I wanted to share a couple of cute birthday cards I made yesterday, using 3 different stamp sets, some bold patterned paper, and some simple coloring.  

I started with this cute mini stamp set by Art Impressions, which I found at my local craft store.  They come with matching dies.  How can you look at this little guy and not smile?!   I stamped him on some white card stock and used my watercolor pencils and blending pen to color him in, but any coloring medium would work.  I wasn't sure how I would be using him when I started - I could have stamped him directly onto the card panel, but in this case I cut him out and adhered to the panel, which I die cut using the Inside & Out Stitched Rectangle Stax die from My Favorite Things.


Then I stamped out a bunch of these balloons from the Simon Says Stamp Birthday Bits stamp set, and colored them in using various colors of distress ink and a waterbrush, using a couple shades of each color to create a little bit of dimension.  And my new favorite thing (I know it's been around for quite a while, but it's relatively new to me)... the clear Wink of Stella glitter pen!  Love!  It adds just the right amount of shimmer without going over the top, and there's no mess!  


The Happy Birthday sentiment is from Hero Arts Many Everyday Messages, and was stamped using Onyx Black Versamark ink.  I added a glitter heart using a confetti heart punch (Martha Stewart) with glitter craft foam, and adhered the whole panel to some bold patterned card stock (American Crafts - Marine paper pad 6x6), using white craft foam to add some dimension to the card.

I repeated the same design below, but used different patterned paper (American Crafts - #Summer paper pad 6x6) for some variety.  This card would be super easy to mass produce.


I just love how the sun catches the wink of stella shimmer!  Looks like little diamonds.


Hope you enjoyed these two simple birthday cards.  

Thanks for stopping by!

~ ellen.


2 comments:

Anita Houston said...

Oh that penguin is sweet! LOVE the sparkly balloons too. Fun cards!

Jennifer said...

hey! someone told me you gave a kind shout out to me in a blog post. wanted to thank you!!!! hugs to you. and your altered mailboxes are impressive!