Monday, November 7, 2016

Ranger Altered Mailbox

Hello again friends!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome back to blog land - it was so very nice to be back in touch and hear from some dear old friends.  

During my blog break, I did do a few creative projects, and today I wanted to share one of my favorites.  I made this about a year ago at one of my art retreat ("stamp camp") weekends.  Since moving in to our house 3 years ago, I had wanted to replace the mailbox with one that was easier to get mail in/out.  


We had this style mailbox at our old house and loved it.  I altered that one, too, with some Dylusions stamps and Tim Holtz letters.  Click HERE to see that post.  


This time, I decided to use Ranger's Foil Tape Sheets, some embossing folders, and Ranger's Patina Glazes to create a metal patchwork mailbox.  It was super easy and super fun!  

I started with several sheets of 6 x 12  Foil Tape Sheets and several different embossing folders.  It took a little experimenting to find the right amount of "shim" needed to give a good embossed impression without tearing the thin metal sheets.  I found that two layers of heavy card stock was the perfect amount.  



After embossing LOTS of different patterns, I pulled out my Ranger Patinas in a variety of colors, and started painting on the glazes, setting each sheet aside to dry as I went along.  Once they were all dry, I used black paint to "age" the colors a bit, and wiped back the black paint right away before it dried, leaving a small amount of black in the recessed areas of the pattern.


Then it was time to fit the colors and patterns together on all the external surfaces of the mailbox.  It took a lot of dry fitting, but the results were amazing!  The foil tape sheets have a strong adhesive backing, which made things so much easier.


After all the foil pieces were adhered to the mailbox, I decided that a thin border between each piece would help to further define each pattern, and would make the mailbox more cohesive.  I used a Ten Seconds Studio texture wheel to impress thin strips of the foil sheets and then pressed them between each section. 


I used one pattern on each side of the mailbox, and I have to say, this is my absolute favorite embossing folder, maybe *ever*!  It's by Spellbinders and I have used it SO many times!  


After all the metal was adhered, I sealed the mailbox with Patina Glaze.  This stuff is amazing!  It dries pretty quickly and leaves a super smooth finish without any tackiness at all.  Love it!


If you noticed the clear spinning organizer on my craft desk, you may have seen that all my pen/pencil/brush containers were made using recycled aluminum cans and this embossing folder - I did a rainbow of colors in the same pattern.


I hope this gives you some inspiration for a foil tape sheet project.  I love the look of textured metal and it can be applied to almost any surface.  Cigar boxes, soup cans, art journal or sketchbook covers, and yes... even as the background for a card!  Hmmmmm.... need to explore that a little more! 

Take care 'til next time and thanks for stopping by!

~ ellen.

8 comments:

betjunroe said...

Wow--this is amazing Ellen! I love all the embossing folder patterns, especially the Spellbinders one! Beautiful project--thanks for sharing. Bette

lynnesbowsandbelles said...

The effect is so stunning and unique!
Wishes
Lynne

sally said...

Wow! Awesome mailbox, hope you get loads more nice mail than bills!

Sally

craftytrog said...

Fantastic!!! So good to see you back in blogland Ellen! xx

Anita Houston said...

Transformations to love Ellen! Really great to see your work again. LOVE each color and texture of metal patchwork...awesome!

whyducks said...

Wonderful work xx

Kaz Hall said...

Wow love the project, the box looks fabulous! great to see you back creating again xx we've missed you xx

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

What a fabulous transformation Ellen, brilliant idea to use the foil tape sheets and love all the wonderful patina, colours and textures. Thanks so much for sharing it! Deb xo